1. How to send/store milk at the nursery
2. How much milk you need to provide everyday
3. How to store the expressed milk at home - there are different way of storing ebm and their respected shelf life
4. Pumping at the office - storing the milk and keeping the breastpump clean
5. Rotating ur milk supply
To name a few lah kan? Hehe
Anyway, here I will share how I send and store my expressed milk (ebm) for Imran's feeding at the nursery.
Its important to communicate with the daycare/nursery, as u can keep it simple and just store ur ebm in their fridge. Some daycare provide separate fridge/freezer to store ur ebm whereas some has only one fridge where they store everything. If the later is ur case and u'd like to keep ur ebm in their fridge, I suggest u insist on seeing/checking the fridge and make sure its clean and at least there's appropriate shelf to place the ebm. I choose to provide my own storage. My method might be a little tedious but after about a week of sending Imran to the daycare, I think I'm comfortable with it plus it has some advantages that I'll share throughtout this post.
Choosing and Buying the Right Icebox
Two essential items are needed, icebox and ice packs. I bought mine as AEON Big Alamanda. We were torn between 2 choices:
Both from coleman, the left one is slightly smaller. Price different on the box alone is about RM100.
The internal size of the left one (refer above pics). It can fit one coleman icepax with 6 standard ebm storage bottles just nice.
The internal of icebox on the right. U can attach one icepax to the lid and fit more icepax inside. It can also fit 6 storage bottles with the icepax in the middle but u can make some space and squeeze in maybe one more bottle plus more icepax inside if needed.
I had some arguments with papa upon agreeing with which 'system'. I prefer the first one because I think its cute (convincing right?), easier to handle (the lid is connected to the body), lightweight and cheaper. Papa prefer the later, according to him its more sturdy and will maintain the cooling temperature longer. After a slightly heated argument (kidding) and hurting our feet walking back and forth between Parkson and AEON Big (we need to review all available options!) I agreed on his choice because he's paying. Hahahaha. No lah. The one we choose might be bulky and a bit heavy but its more sturdy and reliable. Its proven now, so no regret. The whole thing cost about RM300 (ice box plus 3 different icepax).
Sending EBM to The Daycare - Daily Routine
This is basically my daily routine:
1. Its crucial to freeze the icepax every night, I usually do this right away as soon as we reach home.
2. Also at night I will divide ebm in the bottles and store in the chilled section of my fridge. Right now I provide 6 x 3oz milk daily (will discuss about this in another post inshaAllah).
If needed I will also transfer 1 packet of frozen ebm to the chiller, it will melt overnight and ready to be transferred to bottle next morning.
3. Every morning I will arrange the frozen icepax in the box and then place 6 bottles of my chilled ebm. If necessary I will also squeeze in 1-2 packet of frozen ebm as back-up depending on teachers feedback about Imran's consumption. Teacher will transfer the frozen ebm to their freezer at school or else it will melt!
Here's how I arrange them:
4. I will leave the whole thing at the daycare. Teacher dont need to transfer my ebm to their fridge, just take out each bottle of milk when needed. Simple, clean, and no hassle.
1. Using this method, I dont have to worry about hygiene aspect - no need to inspect the nursery fridge hehe. As we provide our own storage.
2. The system is indeed reliable, so far the ebm stay chilled in the icebox up to 8-10 hours.
3. If we are going to travel somewhere for vacation etc, I can continue pumping and use it as travel system to keep my ebm at the right temperature as we travel, inshaAllah.
4. Its convenience to the teachers too. At first they did asked why I dont keep my milk in their fridge, I just smile and say its okay I prefer this way. This way they dont have to worry about keeping my milk seperate from food etc plus I have my peace of mind at work. It really is a win win situation.
I hope this post help can contribute to mommies who are considering ur options. InshaAllah I'll share about other aspects of ebm in a future entries. Till then, later!