Monday, March 24, 2008

Thank God The Worst Is Over

I can’t even find the right word to describe what we went through for the last couple of days. It is quite hard for me to start writing about it since it breaks my heart every time I rewind those moments in my head. People might say I’m exaggerating; I guess if I am, so be it..

What happened was Awisy.. Yes, our heart-n-soul Awisy was attacked with very high fever. When I say high, I mean literally HIGH as in 39.9 degrees Celsius. For people who are not aware of how dangerous it is, it’s high enough to cause fit or seizure to less than 6 months old babies. And those fit or seizure might lead to stuffs that I don’t even want to think let alone write about it (If u’re curious, please find it urself, especially for parents).

It all started on Thursday, 20th March afternoon with cold and flu that gradually developed to low fever of 37.8 degrees. At that time I was still unaware of whats in store for us shortly after, in fact Awisy was acting normal smiling and playing apart of those symptoms. At approximately 7:00 pm I took another reading of his temperature and oh dear God, it has rose up to 39.0 degrees.

I began to panic but tried to keep calm. While waiting for Abah and Mak to get ready to go to the hospital, I sponged his head and body with wet towel to cool down the heat. As we arrived at Annur Emergency Hospital, his temperature has increased to 39.9 degrees! Dr immediately instructs him to ER room, prescribed him with pcm (the one that we insert via anal) and ordered for sponge bath to reduce the temperature. So we did for about 1 hour until his temperature has dropped to 36.8 (normal) and we’re cleared to go home.

Back home, I again measure his temperature and found out that it has increased to 38++. But we (me, abah, mak) assured ourselves that it’s normal as it will took sometimes for the drugs to take effect. As we went to sleep that night, I put wet towel on his forehead for awhile but remove it before I close my eyes as I’m afraid it might accidentally covers his nose and suffocates him while we sleep.

I was awakened by his small cry at 3:15 am. Gave him his chot-chot and decided to take another reading. Its 39.9! My eyes shot open and I alerted Mak and Abah of the current situation. My instinct was to bring him back to ER but Mak and Abah advice me to give him pcm and sponge bath him as what we did back then. So we did, again, sponge bath him. This time Awisy was continuously crying, I know it was very uncomfortable him and he was pleading us to stop. As sad as I was, I have no choice but to keep on going, at least until his temperature drops to 38 degrees.

The worst part was the fever refuse to bulge, it will drop to 38++ then immediately increase again as I stop the procedure. At one point, his body was very hot, I wrapped his body with wet cloth and the cloth completely dried up after 3-4 minutes! I keep on sponging his head and wrapping him with wet towel while he cried to sleep, woke up and continue to cry until he fell asleep again and again and again. My clothes were wet from all that sponging as I was cradling and hugging him on my lap. After 3 hours (6:30am) I decided to stop as his temperature hs stayed at 38++ plus he was shivering and crying. Abah took over, he placed him inside the spring cradle (we occasionally use the spring cradle whenever he’s unwell as its easier to make him fall asleep) and ordered me to sleep.

I woke up a couple of hours later and immediately check on him. Oh my God, the sight of him really really break my heart.. His skin has become blotchy and bluish and I hate to tell you this, I checked his breath and heart beat to assure my self he’s still alive. Thank you so much God, as he was only sleeping and my movement has caused him to wake up and immediately his whole body shivers due to the high temperature.

We rushed to ER, I jumped the patient queue, and again we were back in ER room. I told the nurse there’s no point of sponging him as it will only make him colder whereas his temperature will stay high. The Dr checked on him and prescribed him with higher pcm dose for immediate effect and she agreed, there’s no point of sponging him as the heat originated frm inside his body whatever that means. So we wait..

Alhamdulillah from that point he began to stabilize. Although he’s still feverish, the temperature did not exceed 39 degrees. And today, the 3rd day, rashes begin to develop all over his body including his eyes! (his eyes is bloodshot). Our 1st thought was measles, but another visit to Dr concluded that it’s only a reaction resulted by the previous high temperature. His fever has also slowed down to 37ish.

Only now my mind, body, and heart begin to relax as I watch him smiling and playing again. Although we are still in alert state as he’s not fully recovered yet, we sure hope and pray for the best. My dearest wish is that I’ll never have to face the same situation again. Never Ever. I dunno if I can be as strong. I decided to share my experience as lesson to other parents as well as my self. Deep in my heart, I quite regretted the Drs decision to send us back on the 1st night. If Awisy was warded, at least I know that we are in good hand, surrounded by knowledgeable staffs around us, just in case. But I guess this isn’t the time to play the blame game. All in all, I thank God that despite everything that happened, it ended well and my baby is now safe and sound. Alhamdulillah….

8 comments:

mama ryan said...

ya allah.. kesiannye awisy... as i'm reading this entry, i keep on imagine kalau ryan yg jadi mcm tu...sedangkan dia menangis teruk few mths ago pun dah cukup buat i risau, inikan pulak high fever...

isk... wet towel jadi kering in 3/4 minutes??? hih.. tinggi tu temperature...

but, alhamdulillah, la nie awisy dah sihat walaupun x sepenuhnya....

don't worry, u x exaggerating, as a mother, i paham ur situation.... kita nak yg tbaik utk baby kita... or yg ckp gitu, meaning depa xdak perasaan....

-me- said...

mimi,
i once had the similar experience with my son.
memang risau...
it's okay..just keep an eye on awisy.
hopefully awisy will get well soon!

AnasDila said...

sedih bila dgr awisy macam ni...mesti panis kan...saya doa,semoga awisy lekas2 sembuh...saya baca entry ni,saya pulak gelabah...

Awisy yang comel,segera sembuh k...

CikPuanMuda said...

owh... meremang bulu roma bila dgr cerita u.. poor baby awisy :( teringat time danish kena high fever sampai menggigil kuat dulu.. bila kita dah jadi mommy, allah je yang tau macam mana sedihnye kita rasa kan? hugs and kisses from auntie, dearie..

Saira said...

Glad to hear that Awisy is well, save and sound.. I wonder too when you don't show up in opis.. It break my heart just by reading this.. I'm glad it's over for you..

purp said...

thank God... awisy has recovered. thank God everything's ok. i hope awisy will be fully recovered soon. kesyian awisy... no more high fever ok... insyaAllah...

Mimi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mimi said...

mama ryan >> yups mmg worried sgt2 time tu.. tapi i tolak tepi seme yg bukan2 n concentrate on him.. masa tu la naluri keibuan i ws seriously tested.. i doakan ryan xkan kene something serious like dat :)

-me- & cikpuanmuda >> thanks! owh u guys pun ada similar experience ek? lucky for us everything end up well kan!

anasdila >> mmg i panic tapi kene buat2 tak panic hehe.. jantung i mcm nk pecah rasanya selagi demam dia x hilang tau.. anyway i would recommend u to own childcare book yg u boleh refer bila baby is around nnt.. nnt i recommend k!

saira & purp >> thanks korg~ huhu dh baper hr aku x pi keje ni..tapi no choice bcoz xkan aku nk hantar pi babysitter gak awisy2 sakit2 kan.. nnt aku kt opis pun dok risau semacam xleh concentrate keje (eleh mcm la kalau x concentrate sgt kan?! hehe).. but i'm gonna take care of him until he's really ok.. tpaksela bercuti jd nurse..